Gary McLaren, 50, was ringing in the New Year in the party resort of Pattaya with his Thai fiancee Jasmine when he tried to light a firework which exploded in his face, killing him.
A British man was killed on the stroke of midnight in Thailand after a firework exploded in his face.
Gary McLaren, 50, died while ringing in the New Year with his Thai fiancee and friends in the party resort of Pattaya, eastern Thailand, on December 31.
Mr McLaren, who was originally from Corby, Northamptonshire, had been partying at the Miami A Go Go bar before stepping outside and trying to light a 50cm cardboard tube packed with fireworks.
He studied at Tresham College, near Kettering, before moving to Thailand, though still visited relatives in the UK – as recently as December this year.
At the time of the accident the area, which is best known for its strip clubs and brothels, was packed with revellers celebrating the New Year.
When they arrived at the scene of the accident, the Brit was laying on the ground with bloody wounds on his face. There was a pool of blood by his side.
Police Captain Nakhonrat Nontseelard said the British Embassy in Bangkok has been informed of the death.
Mr McLaren’s body was taken away to a hospital for post mortem examination.